Nia is a sensory-based movement practice that draws from martial arts, dance arts and healing arts. It empowers people of all shapes and sizes by connecting the body, mind, emotions and spirit. Nia classes are taken barefoot to soul-stirring music in more than 48 countries. Trainings teach people how to work out without pain and enjoy the process of getting fit with movement. Every experience can be adapted to individual needs and abilities.
The Nia experience is how we describe the sensation of taking Nia classes. Typically Nia classes include 55 minutes of movement to diverse music.
Nia dance cardio fitness classes are taught by instructors licensed in the Nia Technique. Each class includes mindful movement guidance and somatic education. Nia class cycles include warm-up, sustained non-impact aerobic conditioning, strength training, cool down and stretching. Nia Fitness classes are taught to music, including pop,electronica, jazz, latin, new age, indian and hip hop. They employ 52 basic movements and techniques that draw on a combination of Jazz, Modern and Duncan Dancestyles, Tai Chi, TaeKwonDo and Aikido; and the body/mind healing arts of Feldenkrais Method, Alexander Technique and Yoga.
Nia’s purpose is to grow a worldwide community of healthy people who are empowered to do great things. We believe every person can discover, explore, unleash and enhance their individual potential to live a fulfilling and meaningful life – by engaging their senses and listening to their bodies. With the right tools and education, we can increase our confidence and happiness. We can become connected to others to shape a consciousness that extends beyond our own.
- Nia increases the pleasure of living in your body.
- Nia creates weight loss and proper weight maintenance.
- Nia strengthens muscles, improves muscle tone, and increases muscle
- Nia calms the mind and relieves stress.
- Nia improves endurance.
- Nia increases grace and flexibility.
- Nia balances the autonomic nervous system.
- Nia improves posture and can even increase height.
- Nia improves organ function-particularly that of the heart and lungs.
- Nia enhances sensory awareness.
- Nia heightens sexual function.
- Nia builds reservoirs of chi.
- Nia alleviates emotional problems, including depression, anxiety, post-traumatic
stress disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorders, and anger-management problems.
- Nia improves circulation of blood and improves lymphatic drainage.
- Nia strengthens immunity.
- Nia improves concentration and cognitive function.